Monday 31 August 2015

Has the Council got the parking wrong? - Clarification

Since I first published my blog about the current CPZ consultation I have been lobbied by a diverse group of interested parties, including local businesses, residents, charities, and environmental campaigners. The following hopefully clarifies the approach I am taking on this issue:

My current position is based on views put to me by constituents and other interested parties, including local businesses, on whose behalf I am trying to raise the level of debate, focussing on whether the proposals make sense, and whether, if implemented, they might have different outcomes to those suggested by the consultation. The consultation documents suggest, for example,  that the proposals will make it easier for residents to park.  It has been put to me that they may not, and that they may also have a harmful impact on local businesses, markets, local charities, and the wellbeing of older and more infirm people who rely on visits from others, often made by car, and for whom the new visitor arrangements could well be sufficiently complex to discourage visitors.  

It is a complex enough discussion to try and establish if the outcomes of the proposals will be as intended, especially given that there seems to be very little empirical evidence to support them.

If we start trying to debate the wider issues, such as the merits or demerits of parking controls in terms of the impact on the environment, whether these controls might encourage or discourage car use, whether controls are intended to reduce car usage or simply regulate parking, whether they make the environment safer or not, and whether we can afford to assume that all private car use is inherently bad and should be discouraged, the debate will unravel completely, which is why I am not attempting to address any of these points.  

For the moment, I am simply reflecting and representing what seem to me reasonable and reasoned views that have been put to me regarding the current consultation, as any Councillor should.  

No comments: